Enchiladas Verdes de Pollo – Green Chicken Enchiladas. ©
What are Enchiladas?
It is a semi fried tortilla bathed in a (red , green, and bean mole ) sauce is filled with any ingredient (chicken, cheese and onion, shredded meat, chorizo and/or potatoes, etc) and then rolled up like a skinny burrito.
There are three basic methods of making Enchiladas
1. The first method is where the omelette is lightly fried then dipped in a chile sauce warmed then filled and rolled .
2.The second method dips the omelette in ” raw” sauce then lightly fried , filled and rolled .
3.The third method is semi tortilla fried, stuffed , rolled and finally the hot sauce and cheese is added.
How to make Chicken Enchiladas Verdes – Green Enchiladas with Chicken
Ingredients for the sauce:
-2 lbs tomatillos
-2 serrano chiles or Jalapeño
-1/2 onion (White or Yellow)
-1 bunch of cilantro (washed well!! stems as well)
-2 cloves of garlic
-1 tbsp chicken bouillon powder or 1 cube.
-1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
-1 cup of Mexican cream (you can use regular sour cream)
- 4 cups water or chicken stock
- Salt and black Pepper to taste.
-24 corn tortillas (NOT FLOUR TORTILLAS)
-1/4 cup +- cooking oil
Ingredients for filling:
Bring to boil 2 cups of water and add chicken breasts with salt, onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, anda bit of pepper, let it cook for about 15 min or until Chicken is tender, cool down, drain and shred the Chicken Breasts.
Ingredients for toppings:
- Fresh Cheese, Romano or Feta Cheese
but… if you are lucky and have some “Queso Oaxaca” or “Manchego” are a good option.
Preparation for sauce:
1. Place the tomatillos in a pot with chile serrano, and onion. Cover with chicken stock (4 cups or less) bring to a boil and let cook on high until tomatillos change color (about 5 – 10 minutes)
RESERVE the cooking liquid in a separate container or bowl will use it to thin the sauce.
2. Scoop out the tomatillos, chiles, onions and throw them in a blender together with the spices, garlic, and cilantro. Put enough RESERVED liquid to blend until smooth, then add the sour cream and continue to blend until well MIX
Tomatillos- Jalapeño- Onion and Spices ©
3. Now that the sauce is ready, heat the same pot where you made the sauce until it’s really hot, add some oil and when oil is hot add the sauce you blended and let it simmer for 10 minutes so all the flavours comes together, remove from heat and place de sauce aside.
Salsa Verde Simmering ©
Preparation for Tortillas:
1. Heat a small pan with oil on high heat, and lightly fry each tortilla on both sides just enough for it to puff slightly, but don’t over do it, you just want to soften them, make sure the oil is really hot.
If you skip this step you will get mushy enchiladas that won’t be able to hold their shape, and look not so great, the frying makes them flexible and prevents them from falling apart and helps maintain texture. Pat dry them with paper towels after the frying, so it’s not so greasy. *use tongs for this step is easier*
Preparation Rolling Enchiladas:
1. Have you fillings ready and on hand, also your softened lightly fried tortillas
2. Get your serving plates and put enough sauce on the bottom of the plates.
Tortilla with Chicken ©
3. Put filling in tortilla, roll like a taquito, (place 2 – 3 rolled tortillas per plate) pour sauce on top and then topping with some fresh cheese or feta cheese and READY!
Taquito Filled with Chicken ©
Green Chicken Enchiladas with Beans ©
Serve with Beans and/or Mexican Rice.
Notes: Another way to prepare these Enchiladas is with the same ingredients, BUT you can make add some sauce on the bottom of a baking dish, then filled the tortilla, rolled them and place it on the baking dish (pre heat oven at 450•F) once you have all the tortillas rolled up place the rest of the sauce on top, add cheese(Oaxaca, Manchego or Swiss) and place them in the oven until cheese has melted. (This method is called “Enchiladas Suizas” “Swiss Enchiladas”)