Authentic Carne con Chile “Short Ribs” “Costillas de Res”
It’s cold outside… damn cold! Low temperatures just said hello to MTL, we just got a snowfall mix with rain, mess!! yes, slushy mix, although, the temperatures are going down.. that mean it is gonna be skating ring all over the place! Ice, Ice baby
I don’t like it so much… I wish was just powder snow to play a bit outside with Lola (my dog) but… what am I gonna do?! It is what it is… so let’s enjoy the cold weather with warm drinks and food, right?
As I told you before, Carne con Chile is one of my favourites “Authentic” Mexican Dishes! simple, fast and full of flavour! Although this time took me a bit more time than usual, I made the “Carne con Chile” with “Beef Short Ribs”!!!!
Beef Short Ribs, in a sentence: “Short ribs” make delectable winter eating, don’t you think?
When I started cooking, I was lost with the meat cuts, I had to learn the differences between french, english and spanish and to date still a bit confusing… but if you are in the same situation I was here is some info for you:
1. Beef short Ribs are larger and usually more tender and meatier than their pork counterpart.
2. Beef Short Ribs are good for stews (braised), BBQ (grilled)
3. How can you cook Beef Short Ribs? You have many alternaives like, Slow cooker, Oven, Roast, Grill, the result? delicious tender braised short ribs yum yum!!
In this recipe I am using one of my favourite ingredients in mexican salsas, “Tomatillo” (toe-ma-tee-ohs) commonly call Tomate Verde (Green Tomato) considerate a basic ingredient in Mexican Cuisine. Tomatillos are green and about the size of a cherry tomato, the inside is meatier than any other tomato, they grow to maturity inside of a husk and the husks are inedible and should be removed before use. Tomatillos are very easy to cook with because they don’t need to be peeled or seeded. Their texture is firm when raw, but soften when cooked. Rinse before using as the tomatillo is covered by a sticky substance. Do not peel the green skin!!
Where to buy tomatillos? I guess in any latin store or farmer’s markets.
Makes: 3-4 Portions
CARNE CON CHILE BEEF SHORT RIBS
HOW TO DO IT
NOTE: If you have Pressure Cooker, it’s gonna way more faster!! I don’t have pressure cooker
- Pre-heat a large pot over medium-high heat, add the short ribs and sear the ribs (brown) all sides, once the short ribs are completely brown, add 3/4 cup of water and place a lid. (Feel free to add your own spice to the meet, this time I add a pinch of cumin and pepper)
Let them cook for about 1 1/2 – 2 hrs until meat is fork tender. If you feel the meat need to be cooked for longer add extra water and removed the bones once is ready.**In the mid you can time we prepare the sauce**
- Roast the Tomatillos, tomatoes +Garlic in the oven-roast wrap in aluminium foil, or in the comal) turning occasionally, until charred.
- Slightly Toast the Dried chiles in the Comal or any fry pan, about 1 min.
- In a blender, place the tomatillos, tomatoes, dried chiles, garlic clove and the beef broth or the meat juices, add salt.
- Add the sauce into the pot and let it simmer for about 10 min +-.
- Checked the salt and add pepper, let it cook for another 5 min.
- Listo! Ready! Served with rice, beans and warm tortillas.