COLD + GREY = BAKING TIME
I know, I know, one more blog posting Mexican Wedding Cookies, but… in Mexico these cookies are a classic and an a real hit during the holidays. Why mexican wedding cookies? Honestly, I don’t know. I have never been in any mexican wedding where I ‘ve eaten these yummy, delicious, melt in mouth cookies, besides, the common name for these cookies is Polvorones, a very good option as christmas gifts, baby showers favors, family & friends reunions, posadas, etc.
Don’t know too much about the story behind the name, but would be nice if somebody can telling me Why? What’s the story? If you know, please let me know
Makes: 8o to 100 Cookies
2 cup of pecans (chopped in small pieces)
2 1/2 cup of wheat flour or white flur (up to u)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon powder
2 cup of butter (room temperature, not melted)
2 cup of icing sugar (divide)
1 tsp of vanilla extract
2 tsp maple syrup (real maple syrup, if you want a GOOD result)
- Chopped the pecans in small pieces.
- In a bowl sift the flour,salt and cinnamon
- In a different bowl, with the help of a hand or stand mixer, cream the butter, sugar (1 cup) for about 5 min. Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract, until blended. Incorporate the mix of flour, salt and cinnamon in 3 separate batches and mix one more time for about 15 seconds, until everything is well integrated. Finally, add the chopped pecans and mix it well with the dough.
- Shape the dough in a bowl shape, and cover with cling wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 min, up to 3 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180°C. Prepare 2 baking sheet, butter a little bit the baking sheet.
- Shape the dough into bowls or crescent, aprox 2 cm diameter, place them in the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 min in total. Turned them once after 10 min.
- Remove from the oven, let them cool completely on wire racks. When cookies are cool, roll them on icing sugar.
- Store at room temperature, in an airtight container.
NOTES: This recipe make up to 100 cookies, all depends size you shape your dough. the smaller, the better.