Authentic Mexican Antojitos: Taquitos Dorados – Crispy Tacos
Toppings: Potato, Beans and Shredded Beef with Lettuce, Cream and salsas
This authentic Mexican Antojito, “Taquitos Dorados” are addictive! I do not take any responsibility if you can not stop eating.
A Mexican classic, so classic that we buy in the corner stands. Taquitos Dorados are the kind that you say, “I can not eat just one.”
About the Taquitos Dorados.
Also called taquitos dorados or flautas, these differ from other kinds of tacos in that, they are rolled around a filling and fried until hard, the fact is that Tacos and flautas is the same, flautas or taquitos dorados, must be prepared with tortilla for “tacos”, an oval tortilla and slightly thinner than normal tortillas, for example here.
The taquitos can be prepared with plenty of fillings, shredded beef, poblano strips, potatoes, refried beans, ground beef, cottage cheese, shredded chicken, roasted vegetables. The authentic garnish on top of the taquitos dorados is shredded cabbage, with some lime, Mexican cream and of course salsa. * I did not have cabbage this time, so I used lettuce *
I have my favourite golden taquitos, Tacos La Chata is a small settlement near the city center where I am from, they’re delicious!! I can’t wait to go to this taco place, in a simple sentence: “they are mouth-watering”, nothing fancy, everything is basic and simple, but who cares, I go there for the taste!!
This time I did almost every filling! (I became crazy, I know!) I Made of: potato, poblano chile strips, re-fried beans and shredded beef! I Served them with rice, lettuce, onion, tomato, cream and salsa ☺…
* This time I made several stuffed taquitos Dorados, usually I make one or two fillings, but was eager to try my favourite fillings … a little of everything.
The recipe itself is very simple, but it requires patience and organization, especially if you decide to do multiple fills, the key is to plan ahead.
* To save time, you can preparer fills with anticipation, in fact it is preferable that the filling is cold so it does not spill when preparing.
This recipe makes: 12 tacos or more.
Preparation time: 1 hr +-
For the Taquitos
Oil to fry, I used ¼ of a cup.
Fresh Mexican cream (Can be substituted with sour cream)
600 gr. chuck roast Beef (Shredded Beef)
2 Garlic Clove
1 small piece of white onion
1 bay leaves
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon powder Chile
½ – + cup of beef broth or chicken broth.
NOTE: this is just what I basically had on my kitchen pantry, you can seasoned the beef as you wish 😉
Poblano Poblano Pepper
Roasted+ skin+ seeds removed and cut into strips.
¼ cup cheese (your choice) I used Monterrey jack
Recently I tried this recipe and seriously turned out really good! Give it a chance.
2 medium Potatoes.
Pinch of oregano
¼ cup Cheese (your choice of cheese) I used Monterrey Jack
- Let’s start getting ready with the beef, I cooked the beef one day before in the slow cooker, first pre- heat a fry pan or cast iron skillet and start rubbing the meat with the mix of the spices: pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper, powder chile and salt.” Once is full rubbed with the spices, start searing the meat, step by step here
- Once the meat is seared it, add it to the crockpot, add beef broth or chicken broth and let it cooked for up to 6 hrs. (You HAVE to do the beef with a lot of time in advanced unless you are preparing it in the pressure cooker. I don’t have 😦
- Start with the re-fried beans, in fact it needs to be cold, otherwise will be a mess when you put them in the tortilla and try to fold it or roll it up. Here the recipe:
- Once the re-fried beans are ready, start working with the poblano pepper (roasting the poblano peppers) like I show it here.
- Steam the potatoes, I did it while the poblano peppers where roasting, save time ;-)!! I know some people use the microwave to do this, but I am old fashion lol, so I do either in a steaming pot or I roast them in the oven. Once the potatoes are ready, mash them with a bit of butter (1/2 tablespoon) salt, pepper and a pinch of oregano. Place aside.
- So now, that you have beans, potatoes, poblano pepper and beef ready, let’s start the party rolling the taquitos, what we are gonna do, is to have all the filling next to us, take a tortilla and place some of the filling (not much!! otherwise will be a mess, and believe me u don’t want that lol) try to spread it a bit and roll it up. ***You can put a tooth pick to close it completely***
- Continue doing the same with the rest, and Pre-heat the fry pan with oil, must be frying oil, such as canola oil, sunflower oil, I used Becel oil.
- Once you have all the Taquitos ready, start putting them in the frying pan, depends of the size of your pan, but don’t overcrowd the fry pan, try to put 3 -4 at the time.
- Fry them for about, 3 min or until crispy. Place them in an ovenproof dish with a pepper towel to absorb the excess of fat. Pre-heat the oven in a very low temp, just to keep the taquitos warm before serving.
- Once you have done with all the taquitos, place them in the oven to keep them warm and prepare your extra toppings, like shredded lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and salsa.
- Serve with rice or just alone 😉
follow me likeinmexico!