I don’t live close to a latin store here in Montreal, most of stores are on the other side of town 😦 and I’ve been asking around my area for Mexican Chorizo at the butchers shops + super markets and no success… so I started looking for Mexican Chorizo recipes instead.
I’ve been trying different Mexican Chorizo recipes, but no happy with the results so, after my trial and error, adding/removing some ingredients, finally got my own recipe/adaptation of Mexican Chorizo. Something very important, is incredibly easy to make! at first I thought it was going to be more complicated, but not at all, is super easy and fast to make, although… I don’t use casings, (I haven’t found casings in Montreal) I use small plastic bags to store it in the freezer and then take little by little, so most of the time I have chorizo for those craving days.
La Receta/Recipe: HOMEMADE MEXICAN CHORIZO
500 grs Ground Lean Pork
3 dried Guajillo chiles
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 of a medium onion, chopped
3 medium garlic cloves (minced)
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1/2 tsp ground clove
Small Pinch of cinnamon
2 tsp. salt and pepper
2. Pour enough water to cover the chiles and bring the water to a boil (in the same skillet). Once the water start boiling, turn off the heat and allow the chiles to soften in the water for 30- 35 minutes. (make sure the water cover the chiles)
3. After the chiles have softened, Add them together with the vinegar, onions, and garlic to a blender. Blend until get a smooth salsa.
4. In a large bowl, add the pork, Guajillo salsa, rest of the spices (cumin, oregano, paprika, cayenne, ground clove, salt, pepper and pinch of cinnamon)
Note: Be careful with the amount of cinnamon, if adding extra the chorizo will have a very sweet taste, don’t over do it.
5. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporate. Allow mixture to sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, although overnight is best.
6. Place the mixture in small plastic bags and ready! Now you have Mexican Chorizo at home.
What can you cook with Mexican Chorizo?
Many different dishes like: Chorizo with potatoes, scramble eggs with chorizo, chorizo in Tinga Poblana, chorizo with beef strips (tacos) melted cheese and chorizo (choriqueso) etc.