If you have a Mexican Friend you MUST READ this post from @MatadorNetwork.
Enjoy and Text / Call your Mexican Friends!!
Enjoy and Text / Call your Mexican Friends!!
What are Enchiladas?
It is a semi fried tortilla bathed in a (red , green, and bean mole ) sauce is filled with any ingredient (chicken, cheese and onion, shredded meat, chorizo and/or potatoes, etc) and then rolled up like a skinny burrito.
There are three basic methods of making Enchiladas
1. The first method is where the tortilla is lightly fried then dipped in a chile sauce warmed then filled and rolled .
2.The second method dips the tortilla in ” raw” sauce then lightly fried , filled and rolled .
3.The third method is semi tortilla fried, stuffed , rolled and finally the hot sauce and cheese is added.
How to make Chicken Enchiladas Verdes – Green Enchiladas with Chicken
Don’t know what to offer as snack to the guest? Here one option! It doesn’t take more than 15 min to make it, honestly.
You wanna know how to make the famous salsa verde? Here the recipe.
This salsa is multifaceted, i mean can be use for almost everything!! Goes very well with chicken, quesadillas, seafood tacos just to mention some dishes.
5 Tomatillos (green tomatoes)
1 Small bunch of Cilantro
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 very small piece of cilantro
1. Bring water to boil and place the jalapeños and tomatillos, when are cooked (colour must change to lighter green) place them in a blender with the onion, cilantro, small piece of garlic and salt, mix together, and Ready!
Notes: the consistency of the salsa verde, depends of your taste, could be made chunky or smoother, is up to you.
When I lived in México at my parents, once a week for sure I ate carne con chile (very spicy sometimes) with either red rice or beans. Carne con chile with rice was and is more for lunch and with beans for dinner.
My mom always prepared the “Carne con chile” in a very simple way, but very rich in flavour and it was this recipe I grew up with.
La Carne con chile, is a simple and basic recipe that many households in Mexico, from south to north prepare with their own touch. Textures, colours and sometimes flavours may differ one from the other, since there is a wide of chiles for choosing to cook carne con chile, to mention few, Jalapeño, Serrano, chipotle, as it can be prepare using tomatillo or Red tomato but all very authentic and traditional.
If you like spicy food you will like this recipe, I’ve always liked spicy food and very spicy sauces, sometimes I asked my mom if she could make extra sauce for me, in case La Carne con chile was not spicy enough lol.
When I go to visit my family, there is always a question my mom ask me, and I love to answer – What you want me to cook for you when you get to town? And my answer so far after years living outside of Mexico is “Carne con Chile”, beans and tortillas de maíz with extra salsa to accompany. I know, nothing fancy, but is authentic and very flavourful.
“This dish has many variables, as I mentioned above. Carne con Chile can be made with beef or pork, use different chiles like Jalapeño, Serrano, chipotle, chile ancho, chile Guajillo, and I believe every Mexican home does it in a different way” but If you’ve never tasted or cooked authentic Mexican Chile con carne, I must tell you, you have to try this authentic Mexican dish! It doesn’t matter what chile con carne, as longs as is authentic and traditional like this recipe.
Serves: 2 Cooking Time: 30 min
2 Roma tomatos
1/2 small onion
1 garlic clove
Full Pinch of Salt
Pepper to taste
3 Rib Eye steaks (cut in small cubes)
Comal or cast iron skillet
Edit: *If you would like, add any kind of Potato, roughly chopped, and/or choose different kind of chile.
*Change the type of meat as well, Sirloin, Chuck, Flank Steak are good option as well as pork leg, chops.
* IF you think is too spicy the AuthenticMexican Chile con Carne, Roast 2 extra tomatoes but if you want it spicier add more jalapeño.
1. We cut our steaks into small cubes, and pre-heated a pan with a teaspoon of oil ( I used olive oil), add the meat, fry (browned) over medium-high heat until meat is thoroughly cooked. In spanish we say “Doramos la carne”
2. In the meantime, heat up your comal or cast iron skillet, put the tomatoes, jalapeño, onion and garlic to roast, when they are completely roasted, put the ingredients in a blender, (peel the tomato skin) add salt and blend until smooth and thick (adds water if you want a thinner sauce).
3. Now that our meat and salsa are ready, we add the salsa to the meat; let it boil for about 5 minutes, then lower the heat and let cook for approx. 15-20 minutes and Ready!! (Checked salt and pepper to taste)
So easy and simple these authentic “Carne con Chile“
You can serve with beans, Mexican rice, quesadillas, burritos, tacos, nachos, etc …
Buen Provecho! 😉