What are Molletes?
Well, if I can explain it correctly, is a baguette style bread cut in half (open face) with butter, spread of re-fried beans and a choice of filling on top, one of the most simply and traditional is cheese (chihuahua or Oaxaca) and/or Pico de Gallo and salsa But if you are craving for more add a some guisos (stews). I give you some ideas : Chorizo con Papas, Mexican Picadillo, Carne con Chile, Rajas de Chile Poblano, Rajas de Poblano, Carne con Chile, Papas Verdes and Papas Rojas. Basically You can add whatever else you want, even scramble eggs works perfectly. Are you vegetarian? add mushrooms with roasted tomatoes, an excellent option.
Molletes are serve and eaten in México from south to north. So if you go to México you will see that almost every breakfast menu has Molletes as an option. Although the bread that is commonly use in almost every place is called Pan Bolillo but where I come from a La laguna, located in the north of México is commonly to use Pan Frances. These breads are almost the same thing, but Pan Frances is more buttery, smoother to touch and taste, compare to the bolillo is harder from the exterior and soft in the inside.
This Mexican dish is one of the easiest and yummiest way to eat beans, salsa and melted cheese. Molletes are popular as breakfast but can be serve anytime of the day, I love them at night too.
Molletes a la Mexicana – Receta
Makes: 4 molletes (serves 2 people).
Prep. Time: 10 minutes.
– Fresh or left over baguette style bread
– tsp of butter
– 1 cup of Re-Fried beans (a bit warm)
– Cheese (Monterrey Jack-Oaxaca-Chihuahua-Mozarella-Cheddar, etc)
– Pico de Gallo
– Restaurant Style Salsa or Salsa Verde
– Guisado (stew) **Optional**
1. Pre-heat the oven or oven toaster to 250˚ F
2. Cut the bread in half, spread some of the butter, spread the re-dried beans and topped with cheese (do the same with the rest of the bread)
3. Place the molletes in the ove or oven toaster until cheese is melted
4. Place on top the molletes the pico de gallo and salsa
5. Voila! Serve warm and Buen provecho amigos.